Thank You God, Twenty Times
By Brenda Black
Give thanks where thanks is due. Let's start at the top. “Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not his benefits.” (Psalm 103:1-2) This Psalm of David not only commissions gratitude, it itemizes God's faithfulness, leaving no doubt that the Lord deserves our thanks first.
1. He forgives all my sins (vs. 3)
2. He heals all my diseases (vs. 3)
3. He redeems my life from the pit (vs. 4)
4. He crowns me with love and compassion (vs. 4)
5. He satisfies my desires with good things (vs. 5)
6. He renews me (vs. 5)
7. The Lord works righteousness and justice for the oppressed (vs. 6)
8. He makes his ways known to man (vs. 7)
9. The Lord is compassionate and gracious (vs. 8)
10. He is slow to anger, abounding in love (vs. 8)
11. He will not always accuse or hold a grudge (vs. 9)
12. God is gracious and does not treat us as our sins deserve (vs. 10)
13. He is love (vs. 11)
14. He removes our sin and sees us as perfect (vs. 12)
15. The Lord is our Father (vs. 13)
16. He knows us inside and out (vs. 14)
17. He is everlasting (vs. 17)
18. God will be here for our children and grandchildren (vs. 17)
19. He is on the throne (vs. 19)
20. He is building a home in heaven for his obedient servants (vs. 19)
Let's get things in perspective! We are BLESSED...BLESSED...BLESSED ! Our sins are forgiven, our diseases treated! We walk in light and no longer have to linger in the pit of despair or decadence or deceit! We are loved and nurtured by a gracious God who is ruler of the universe and yet considerate of man!
God gives good things even when He gets blamed for every bad thing that ever happens on planet earth. He renews us and makes us holy with His righteous, fair and perfect justice. The Lord who is higher than the heavens lowers himself to allow us to enter into His presence and know His will and feel His touch. He longs to dry our tears and ease our pain. He is patient and kind and loving.
Though God Almighty has the authority and right to banish society and hurl the earth's inhabitants into outer darkness, He waits. He forgives. He sacrifices His Son and offers us perfect peace so undeserved. He is love!
How can a God who created light and sees past, present and future be so blind to our faults? He chooses to see us through the blood of Christ! He is our Father who knows us because He created us. He knows us because He watches us. He knows us because He longs to be near us. He knows and He cares. He deserves our respect as well as our gratitude.
If you haven't heard enough, how about we go on forever. He promises forever to be here for us, to be here for our children and grandchildren. How thankful I am that we are never alone. How safe we are knowing that God is on the throne. And how privileged we are to have the promise of heaven!
Our response this Thanksgiving should only be: “Praise the Lord, you his angels, you mighty ones who do his bidding, who obey his word. Praise the Lord, all his heavenly hosts, you his servants who do his will. Praise the Lord, all his works everywhere in his dominion. Praise the Lord, O my soul.” (Ps. 103:20-22)
We are a blessed people who dwell in a blessed nation only because of the blessings poured out upon us from the Lord who benefits us. Never forget to give thanks where thanks is due. Drop to your knees this Thanksgiving weekend and give God twenty.