Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Real Remedy for What Ails You



From an infomercial the syncopated rise and fall of a smooth talking spokesmodel begins her spiel. “Are you tired? Stressed? Feel like the world is falling apart all around you? Do you go to sleep worried and wake up even more weary?” The droning turns to drumming. “INTRODUCING A REVOLUTIONARY REMEDY TO GIVE YOU PEACE OF MIND AND NO MORE WORRY! TRY DR. SPOZ' LIQUID MAGIC. JUST TWO DROPS A DAY DRIVES THE CARES AWAY!” Then a speed reader spews the following: “Side affects may include quickening of the pulse, loss of hair, urinary tract infection, ulcers, bleeding gums, loss of friends and money. Call today for a free sample of Dr. Spoz' Liquid Magic.” Yeah, Right!

We're looking for answers in all the wrong places and losing more than we gain when we believe that happy pills, government, economy, friends, celebrities and their wacky cults have the remedy. It's time to put our stock in God.

“Your ways, O God, are holy. What god is so great as our God? You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples. With your mighty arm you redeemed your people,...” (Psalm 77:13-15a)

Yes, the One who parted seas and planted a nation centuries ago is the God who is still active and able to intervene in the hearts and minds and lives of today's people. So why don't we depend on Him more? Government can never replace God. Money will never amount to as much as the Almighty. No friend will ever be as faithful. And false religions are death traps of slavery. Until we realize God alone is our strength and our refuge, we will forever search for a rescuer. In so doing, we enslave ourselves to cruel worldly masters – but often do not see the deception until we're in too deep.

That was the case for the author of Gullibility Revisited – an essay penned by an anonymous ex-Scientologist.

“When I first came into scientology I simply hadn't developed much ability to identify and challenge basic assumptions. I hadn't learned well that a hypothesis can sound like a stroke of genius, but still turn out to be dead wrong when subjected to a test of proof, and that this applies to social and philosophical as well as 'physical' hypotheses. These things weren't taught well where I went to school. They still aren't taught that well as far as I know, despite the nominal move toward 'critical thinking.' Maybe it would cause too much pain and turmoil by threatening too many cherished ideologies to teach these things well to kids, but it would have helped me to avoid the scientology trap.

“Instead of identifying and challenging, I, like many others, made a horrific mistake. It seemed to make sense and to work for others, so I accepted it tentatively and decided to see if it would work for me. After all, this was the basic line being given out by the people promoting scientology to me at the time: 'You need it. It's the only thing that can solve your problems. Give it a try. See if it works for you!' At the time I sensed no danger. I didn't know that people could promote something false with such verve. I didn't know that some people could wildly exaggerate and falsify their experiences with such wholesome sincerity. I didn't see that I had anything to lose. After all, I thought, what's so bad about giving something a try and seeing if it works? If it doesn't work, won't I soon realize it and leave? But there are several reasons why this DOES NOT hold true in ultra-manipulative, genuinely evil groups like Scientology...

“Reason one: Scientology doesn't LET you 'see if it works.' Scientology needs people who will give it plenty of money or it won't survive. If you can't give money, scientology needs you as a slave, someone who will work for little more than room and board... Scientology lives on the money-givers and the slaves. Once you have agreed to 'try it,' you can't be allowed to wander away. Operatives in the group skillfully go to work on extracting a powerful commitment of unreasoning loyalty.”

The Truth won't scream empty promises and shroud dangerous side effects. The Truth doesn't enslave you to false religious hopes. The Truth sheds light in a dark world. The Truth protects us from blind ignorance. The Truth sets us free.

“Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.” (Psalm 25:4-5)

The Way, The Truth and the Life is the complete remedy for what ails you.

The Scam of Scientology

No comments: