Tuesday, December 13, 2011

His Name Shall Be Everlasting Father


(Third in a series)

By Brenda Black

“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6

How can an infant son be the Everlasting Father? The notion is marvelous at its base and mind boggling from that point forward. Just think, He's an infinite infant, blessed forever to reign without end. The third name attached to the Babe of Christmas solidifies the eternal quality of this mysterious deity and gives us a glimpse of this loving and perfect parent that will never leave or forsake us.

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.” (John 1:1)

Jesus did not begin in Bethlehem. He has always been. While you try to wrap your head around that, don't fret too much. So much of the person of our Lord is beyond our understanding. How can we fathom forever when “[our] days are like the evening shadow; [we] wither away like grass. But you, O Lord, sit enthroned forever; your renown endures through all generations.” (Psalm 102:11-12) Yet, God longs to reveal Himself like a loving father wishes to impart lessons for life to his son or daughter. “Call to me and I will answer you and teach you great and unsearchable things you do not know.” (Jeremiah 33:3)

Quite frankly, I don't believe God expects us to get it over the course of a vaporous life that quickly dissipates. This is just training ground for the rest of our days spent in eternity getting to know God completely. “Now we see but a poor reflection; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.” (1 Corinthians 13:12)

What's exciting about this arrangement is that even in my limited, finite circumstance, the Everlasting Father sees the big picture. He is yesterday, today and forever the same. He knows my past, He's in my present, He's planned a beautiful future. What a great Daddy! He'll be guiding me forever...if I'll just listen and follow!

Jesus is the Babe. Jesus is the Beginning. He also proclaims in John's Revelation “I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.” (1 John 1:l7b-18) Jesus may have manifested Himself fully in the form of a child, fragile and vulnerable to every hardship and evil in this world. But His 33 years here on earth do not negate His royal and powerful standing over all of the universe and everything, everywhere that ever existed or will exist. He has the power over life and death!

“'Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.” (Revelation 22:12-13)

The Wonderful Counselor points the way to a Mighty God that will never fail. We are well advised and adequately protected by such a Savior. As believers in this multifaceted Messiah, it is especially good to know that Our Everlasting Father began before the manger to plan for our future. That should bring you perfect peace...We'll talk about that fourth amazing name next week!

No comments: