Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Drops of Mercy

By Brenda Black

Just a drop and the earth is resurrected anew! A little drink and the grass is sprouting like spring! For so long we've waited for a refreshment. But I have to admit, I wondered aloud time and again whether the land could bounce back from such neglect. Now there's proof that so little rain in such a short amount of time has already made such a marvelous difference!

For me, these are signs that God is still on the throne --signs that God cares for His world and His people. Mysteriously, life continues even when we can't see it. Under the dusty, hard, barren land remained a wellspring of life, waiting to surface! He created it to be so from the beginning.

“Then God said, 'Let the land produce vegetation...and it was so...And God saw that it was good.” (Genesis 1:11-12)

Like most of the land that's lain parched this summer, I've been feeling a little dry myself lately. Some of my drought-like conditions developed from dwelling on what-ifs and fearful worry over politics, money and all things worldly. The troubles of this world often leave me dried up and discouraged.
The Lord offers a remedy. He says, “If a man is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.” (John 7:37)

Just like the creek that holds deep pools of water when every other stream has ceased to flow, inside of the believer remains a pure trickle that neither doubt, nor anxiety can evaporate. There remains a bottomless spring that drought cannot dehydrate. Even a steady dumping of crime, corruption and craziness crammed down our throats from pathetic news sources can't cease its continuous current. I call it the River of Hope. You may recognize it in your life as Living Water or the Wellspring of Life. When you feel dry, the best way out of the drought is to let it bubble forth!

“Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, 'The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.'

“The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord...For men are not cast off by the Lord forever. Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love.” (Lamentations 3:22-26, 31-32)

This is the God I serve! One who sees the sin and suffering. One who knows the hearts of every individual and longs to be our filling. He is good to those who pursue Him and right here with us when we fail Him. We just may not always see it.

Still, I must ask whether I mistakenly blame God when times get tough; or more accurately do I blame myself for becoming lazy in the pursuit of holiness and His help. When the landscape of my life looks cracked and cavernous, it's time for a dribble of renewal. I need his drops of mercy to bring forth new growth and joy. I'm pretty sure it's going to take a little lightning and thunder to start the process – an awakening and acknowledgment that I need to get down on my knees in order to get filled back up.

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

“Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

“And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.” (1 Peter 5:6-11)


I can feel the grass greening in my soul already!


Photo courtesy of https://www.facebook.com/BunkhouseBlessings

copyright 2012 The Word's Out

No comments: