Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Lost and Found

By Brenda Black


I lost it last night. I lost me when I got caught up in the Lord. At that blissful moment, it is both humiliating and elevating. And the combination is exhilarating! John the Baptist said it this way: “He must become greater; I must become less.” (John 3:30) When the Lord occupies His rightful place on the throne and we sit at His feet, all is right in the universe.

Frequently and quickly, we set our hearts on other affections rather than the One most deserving. Why is that? Proximity? Visibility? Convenience or selfish motives? Most likely, all of the above. We focus on what we can see, we reach out to that we can touch. Ashamedly, we love what only benefits us most. All the while, the Savior who gave His life and left His Spirit to guard and comfort and guide, we dismiss with cordiality, saying, Thanks, but no thanks. We convince ourselves that our lives are complete without Him.

No! They are not! At moments when I step out of the routine I control and I define, I find myself completely inadequate and incomplete apart from this Jesus who loves me! And then I realize, even in the areas of my life that I feel most confident, I'm still not the one calling the shots. He is!
You may not get it. Most days, I can easily dismiss it. But there are poignant moments when He will not be ignored. They often come because I've willingly given Him my undivided attention. It's an amazing, conflicting, completely mind-blowing concept that this powerful God who spins the earth on the tip of His finger, waits patiently for us to come near. When we do, the experience is catapulted into heavenly!

I lost it last night and I'm glad for it. Because in my losing, I found the Lord filling me, holding me, lifting me, hugging me, teaching me, reaching me and changing me in that moment for the better. When I get lost in Him, I find the one He's completing. I discover the me He wants me to be. I learn anew that He's not finished with this work in progress. Neither is He finished with you!

“I am sure of this, that He who started a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 1:6)

In the song I am Not Ashamed of the Gospel, one of the lines says “I'm not out to change this whole world around me. I've got my mind on eternity.” I contend that the best way to change the world around you and to change the one within you, is to set your mind on things above. When you fix your sites on eternity, you may feel a little lost in this world, but you'll feel right at home near to the heart of God. Where once you were lost, you will be found. When you become less and He becomes more, that moment is heavenly, blissful, mind-blowing and completely supernatural.

Get lost!





No comments: